Monday, October 31, 2011

A little NaNo talk..

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writers Month) is a yearly event that sends tens of thousands of novelists into a frenzy. This year is no exception. I am one of the novelist.

“But Yume (or DJ or Cissy or whatever you call me), how do you find the time to write 50 thousand words in 30 days?” Let me answer that for you. I don’t find time – I have to make time. 50K words breaks down to 1667 words a day. That’s a LOT of words to do for 30 days straight. The first week you’re on fire! After that, it gets harder.

But I love it. Each year I write something I have never written before. Sometimes even new genre’s. last year I wrote a pirate story. I did pretty well for a new genre, but then I ran out of ideas. It was too much of a foreign territory. No worries though, it is saved. I have a real feeling that story will come back to me in time and I will know what to do with it then.

This year I have a story with ghosts and spirits and angels and such. This is new for me. I think I’ll be fine with ideas though. Time is short so that will be my biggest challenge. But I think I will be fine. I am really excited about my new characters. Clementine is really neat. So is Stone. I have a lot of excitement for that.

Anyhow.. some of you have dealt with me before in November. If so you know your job. If you’re new let me advise you of your job. If you see me screwing off you have permission to fuss at me with a simple yet effective “WRITE Dammit Write!” 

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited for this!! I have two books I'm working on, and planning on finishing the nonfiction. It'll be a fantastic month!

    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete